K-Food

It was indeed the Korean dramas/movies that introduced me to the Korean food, but there’s more to the story now. In the coming years, I may even stop watching the dramas, but there’s no way I’m ever saying ‘no’ to their food.

You may ask ‘what about their food that I like so much?’ You know, there isn’t just one reason, and whatever they are, my interest in the Korean men isn’t one among them. In fact, it is the other way around. Though it started because of their good looks and their gentle nature that their media portrays, now I like them more because of their food, which is not only delicious and healthy, but it also makes me crave for it as much as I crave for chicken.

Anyway, here are few things about the Korean food that you will recognize if you are into Korean dramas/movies, or you like the Korean food like I do:

Chopsticks: It is so much fun to eat with chopsticks. Though I don’t do it properly, every time I eat at a Korean restaurant, I pick chopsticks, not the spoon.

Number of side dishes: The first thing about the Korean food that will strike you is the number of side dishes. Being a South Indian, I have seen too many side dishes on my plate during weddings and other celebrations, but the numbers on a Korean’s table during her/his everyday meal will leave you dumbstruck.

Soju: As wine is to Italians, soju is to Koreans. Do I need to say anymore?

Spicy food: I am a sucker for spicy food - be it Andhra delicacy well known for its spiciness or Korean.

Combination of veggies and meat: Korean food is like American chopsuey – there’s fair amount of both veggies and meat, but it is a lot healthier than the latter. Now, I know why most of the Koreans are so fit.

Grilled meat: Unlike the rest of the world that grills their meat in the kitchen, Korean (also Japanese) do it at their dining table. I haven’t had it yet, but it’s something I am really looking forward to.

Lettuce Wraps: They stuff their mouth with lettuce wraps – lettuce leaf, some seasoned sauce, a spoon of rice, sesame oil and a piece of grilled meat. Trust me, it’s really delicious. Every time I see them do this in the dramas and the movies, I literally drool at the food.

Kimchi: Pickles are not healthy because oils are used as preservatives, but kimchi is fermented and there’s no oil whatsoever. Too much spice may not be all that healthy, but it’s definitely way healthier than our mango or whatever pickles. I usually ask for refills. There are different type of kimchi – cabbage, raddish and cucumber. Oh, they also use the kimchi juice in almost all their dishes.

Sticky rice: Both Koreans and Japanese make sticky rice, which is either eaten separately (with clear soup) or used to make rice-cakes.

Kimbap: Kimbap looks similar to Sushi, but instead of rice vinegar (also called as sushi oil) they use sesame oil to make Kimbap.

Seaweed Soup: Almost every Korean eats seaweed soup on her/his birthday. That’s what makes it special.

Bibimbap: What do Koreans usually eat when they aren't in the mood to cook? They mix rice with kimchi, eggs, cooked meat and vegetables, some kind of sauce – basically whatever side dishes they can find in their refrigerator. They thoroughly mix all the ingredients before eating it.

Cold noodles: They eat cold noodles during summers. I didn’t like this dish much. For the records, I don’t like ice-creams either.

Octopus: Koreans eat raw octopus. Haven’t you watched the movie Old Boy? Remember Choi Min-Sik trying to gulp a live octopus? I know, ewww! I tried cooked ones though – in a seafood noodles and it was quite good. By the way, Koreans are suckers for seafood – oysters, crabs, fishes are important part of their meal.

Ramyeon: They cook noodles with vegetable and eggs. Yum! Yum!  I can eat ramyeon every day.

Pork: Pork is the most preferred snack with alcohol in Korea, especially belly, intestines, skin, ribs etc. They eat so deliciously in the dramas/movies that it makes me forget that they are eating intestines and bellies, and my mouth waters incessantly.

Street food: They are usually seen eating spicy rice cakes and fish cakes in skewers. I haven’t had this yet, but I want to eat this whenever I go to South Korean; perhaps, next year.

Rice porridge: Oh, whenever someone is sick in the dramas/movies, the protagonists make rice porridge for them. I definitely want to eat rice porridge made by a Korean.

Hangover Soup: I want to get drunk just to have some hangover soup made by my partner. Now, you know why I want to be with a Korean man.

Football match: In almost all the dramas and movies I have watched until now, whenever they are watching a football match, they order fried chicken and marinated chicken; yes, they order them both.

I am sure there are a lot of things about Korean food that I haven’t mentioned in this article. Well, I am still learning about them. So, if you want to add something then mention in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment